I want to help bring an end to hygiene poverty
Thank you to all those who have continued collecting and those new to collecting this year. The Hygiene Bank, is a national charity focused on bringing an end to hygiene poverty. You may not be aware, but Fr Nick is the coordinator for the Square Mile Hygiene Bank, focused on encouraging local donation of hygiene products that he then arranges to deliver to local front line charities and agencies to help local people. Here is a recent news item on our collections and donations.
In this crisis we have already seen how easy it is for some of us to prioritise ourselves. There are huge needs though for our local charities, including:
- JRS, the refugee charity
- Hestia, an adult and children's refuge
- YHA St Paul's, now being used to help homeless people during the Coronavirus crisis
- The Square Mile Food Bank
See our community page for more details on these charity partners.
We have also just been informed of a local school needing our help, with over 200 very vulnerable young people in desparate need of hygiene products.
The ways you can help:
- Collect extra items at your home or with your normal shopping and then drop them off to us if you are in the City
- Set up a collection desk or bag in your office to encourage your colleagues to get involved and then when you have a load either drop it off to us or get in touch and we can see if we can walk around to your office to collect it
- If you or your organisation would like to buy hygiene products, we have some wishlists set up:
- from the wholesale club EASO, who are a national partner of The Hygiene Bank, you can go onto the EASHO's website and see our wishlist and our delivery details are already set up:
- or, if you or your organisation would like to buy hygiene products from Amazon, you can go onto the Amazon website and see our wishlist and our delivery details are already set up:
- or, if you have a preferred shop, please review the product lists and then get in touch for delivery details
- You can donate directly to us, designate the money for hygiene products and we will ensure that this is spent on the right products - Click here for easy giving via you bank
If you can help 'please email Fr Nick at email@example.com or call him on 07950 010640; we have marketing material, collection bags etc all you need to help join us and help bring an end to hygiene poverty. Also, to find out more go to the national Hygiene Bank website, and why not follow us on Instagram @thehygienebank. Please also look out for our new "The Hygiene Bank - The Square Mile" Facebook page where we can all share our stories. Also remember "doing good makes you feel good", and what better way to feel good.
Plese note, drop-off point in the Square Mile is currently by advance arrangement only, so please call Fr Nick on 07950 010640
As backgound to what we do
Many people in poverty or those who find themselves in times of crisis often have to make the distressing decision to eat or stay clean because they can't afford to do both. Hygiene poverty is shaming, humiliating and excluding and can result in social isolation. If you can collect Hygiene Products, we will then distribute these to approved organisations that support vulnerable and struggling people. The Hygiene Bank a grassroots, people powered charity, grounded in community to ensure those living in poverty and can't afford to be clean, have access to the basics. This is about dignity, self-confidence and mental wellbeing. Our passion stems from a sense of injustice. Feeling clean should not be a luxury or a privilege in the modern world and so we work to inspire social change.
Here at St Katharine Cree, we are part of this national network of hygiene banks with our focus on working with indiviudals and businesses in the Square Mile who collect produces and then our role is to get these quickly to a network of approved partner organisations that support vulnerable and struggling people.
If you are interested in setting a collection point in your office do get in touch and we can provide marketing material such as posters and flyers. We collect new, unused and in-date toiletries, hygiene basics, beauty and personal care essentials such as deodorant, shower gel, shampoo, make-up, nappies and laundry detergent. If you need them and use them, then it is likely someone else needs and uses them too. Further examples are below:
FEMALE - Sanitary pads & tampons, shampoo & conditioner, hair styling products, face wash, cleanser & creams, body wash, body lotion, deodorant, toothpaste & toothbrush, disposable razors, nail files, make-up, perfume, gift sets
MALE - Shampoo & conditioner, shower gels, deodorant, disposable razors & shaving foam, toothpaste &toothbrush, hair styling products, nail clippers, mens grooming products
BABY & CHILD - Nappies & pull ups, night time pants for older children, baby wipes, barrier cream, toothpaste & toothbrush, baby wash, baby & kids shampoo, talcum powder, nit comb & nit shampoo.
HOUSEHOLD - Washing powder, plasters, hairbrush, hair ties, loo roll, tissues, ear buds, wipes.
Please get in touch if you want to donate and join with us to tackle hygiene poverty.